Hello and welcome
Yorkshire Dales Public Transport Users Group
Who are we?
The Friends of DalesBus, founded in 1996, is a voluntary organisation based in communities in and around the Yorkshire Dales, who use, support and care about all forms of public passenger transport in their area, but most especially bus services, whether to meet everyday local transport needs or for weekend leisure activities.
The group has around 300 members.
Our prime object is to “campaign for accessible and affordable public transport for visitors and local residents to and within the Yorkshire Dales”.
The group works in close partnership with the Dales & Bowland Community Interest Company, a not-for-profit subsidiary of the charity Friends of the Dales, that manages a network of all-year weekend and Bank Holiday bus services to and within the Yorkshire Dales National Park and Nidderdale ANOB.
However, the Group also works to support all daily local public transport services to and within the Yorkshire Dales used local communities and visitors alike. This is to achieve equality of opportunity to access work, shopping, health and other services, as well as social and leisure activities. But it is also to support the local economy and to help reduce car dependency, traffic congestion and the rising impact and carbon footprint of unrestricted road transport on fragile rural environments.
What do we do?
- Represent all users of DalesBus and other local bus services – weekdays and weekends - in campaigning work with partner organisations, bus operators, local
authorities, the Yorkshire National Park Authority, local MPs and Government agencies to ensure adequate resources are available to support local bus
and rail services
- Use every opportunity through local and social media networks to promote the use of public transport and related walking activity
- Work closely with D&BCIC to help plan the popular DalesBus network and to provide vital community feedback on services from users
- Support the network of DalesBus Volunteers to distribute timetable and publicity information to our own members and the general public, and have a presence on
DalesBus services to support and help passengers and to lead guided walks.
- Offer a programme of public Guided Walks from weekend DalesBus services led by the DBV DalesBus Ramblers experienced walk leaders
- Provide a vital range of fundraising activities to help support DalesBus, including supporting D&BCIC’s own fund-raising efforts
- Provide a range of social events and activities for the benefit of members, including music events, that also raise awareness and funds for DalesBus.